Thursday, April 21, 2011

Chapters 4 and 5 and Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology

Chapter 4 reminded me that there was a process to getting lots of things in teaching that I take for granted. It talked about the struggle America faced to get to schools with Universal Teaching. I was reminded of the process America traveled of creating an actual classroom where children could learn skills such as read and write instead of just being taught them by their parents. I learned how classrooms evolved from the one room school house to an actual full school. I was reminded of how teaching wasn't always part of the labor force and eventually became a paid position. I learned how aspects of school I just take for granted like attendance, grading, period switches, textbooks and curriculum units were implemented. As a future teacher I will remember the history of teaching and what fellow past teachers have gone through to get to where the teaching world is today.

Chapter 5 talked about the new opportunities (or possibly threats) are approaching the teaching environment. There's been large growth in homeschool, school in the workplace, distance education, adult education, learning centers, educational television and videos, educational computer software, technical certifications and Internet cafes. The face of education is changing rapidly and we have yet to see what form it will take. I learned it is important to stay up to date on these new improvements in the world of education to be aware of what today's children and adults are learning. This chapter went into great detail about these different faces providing pros and cons which will impact how children learn and I how I should teach my everyday classroom. We need to make sure as teachers that we don't let our students think of some of these technological tools as replacements of schools but rather as helpful insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment