Friday, January 28, 2011

Technology Today and its impact on Education

It's interesting to look back and to think about what the world was like without technology. People must've been much more private, not always knowing where each other was or what they were up to. But then again, that also means that moments between people maybe weren't shared as much. I know that in my family for example, we have become closer thanks to technology. In 2007, a blog was started by my aunts in order to share what was going on in their lives and know about the happenings and events of all my mom's extended family. It allowed different generations to share and to have connections with people that were leading lives so different from the ones they were leading because of the difference in age. I also feel like technology has brought me closer to my college friends. With things like Facebook and texting we can share photos between friends and have conversations that may have otherwise never occurred face to face.

In one of the books for my tech ed class (the class that this blog was made for) talked about the extraordinary changes that have occurred not just in everyday society but in the political world as well. For example, it is no question that part of the reason Obama is now president was because of his website. Supporters formed over 27,000 groups and within those groups raised money, held rallies, and got out the vote. Even the ads on Facebook made users aware of each candidate and what they represented.

It is true that technology has made it's way into many different aspects of society that at least I didn't expect it to appear in. Education for example was one of those categories. I'm excited to learn how to use the materials children use everyday and find a way to incorporate them into the classroom. I am also curious what kinds of technology this means for children of the ages I plan to teach (preschool through third grade). I am very curious how much media and technology children of that age have been exposed to. I know families where tv and technology is barely used and others where it is the primary form of entertainment. What do the teachers of today use for those age groups I wonder? Blogs, email, ipods, podcasts and skype are great ideas, but in order to make them work, children need access to expensive computers, ipods and video cameras(for skype). That being said, I still hope teachers strive to at least incorporate some form of technology into the classroom even if it is just music. Uploading, videos, mp3s, recording devices may seem like simple things but they could really impose a positive learning experience for a child. I can't wait to have my own classroom and to be able to make that influence.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post because it held some interesting information and had a very reflective view point. I also liked the fact that you had a sufficient amount of personal evidence to back up your thinking. This shows that you know what you are talking about and can then in return help your readers relate or become knowledgable about your information posted on your blog. I do feel, however, that your post could have included a few specific examples from the reading to better back up your thinking. Using all the resources available will aid in the comprehension of your readers. I agree with you that technology can be a costly thing, so it is important for teachers to understand that not all of their students will have the correct access to all types of technology. Overall, I felt your thinking was complete and comprehendable.

    ReplyDelete